Sunday, September 23, 2007

I'm Neglecting You and Myself

Hi. It's me.

I haven't been writing much and there's a reason for it. The reason is that I haven't done a darn thing about pursuing this surgery or the lawsuit that everyone I have shared this story with tells me I should pursue. Once I hit the insurance snag, not once, but twice, I let the system derail my goal to get my lazy eye fixed once and for all.

The truth is, it took me so long just to summon the courage to even think about having the strabismus corrective surgery that when things went awry, it was very easy to let other priorities get in the way. But I am failing all of you and myself. So I have made a commitment to make some phone calls this week to get things rolling again.

Please comment, please write, please let me know that you are counting on me to go through with this. It will help, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don’t know me from joeinternetperson, but I thought I’d comment again (I’m the one who mentioned Wynona ryder in the past post). I just wanted to offer encouragement and to let you know people are counting on you to go through w/it. We’re about the same age and while my situation’s slightly different (eye turns outward, 1 past surgery as a kid, uninsured), I can relate to the difficulties of dealing w/strabismus. I can also relate to having your goal of surgery get derailed- mine has been derailed by fear (what if surgery doesn’t work AGAIN? What if there are complications?) and the challenges being uninsured presents (some drs. Won’t even see me; others want a ton of consults, how do you even fine drs. When you’re uninsured, How would I afford another surgery? And on and on). For now, I’m stockpiling $ and putting it in CDs to earn some interest. I’m also researching drs. Via the ‘net- not quite the same as consults in person, but hey, being uninsured means you have to be frugal.

Did you make the calls this week (well, last week- or 2 wks ago?) mentioned in this post? I hope so. Btw, if you ever want to vent (I know it can be hard to talk to ‘real life’ friends about this), drop me an IM (I’d post my email but don’t want the universe to see haha). I’m rainmanesq on aol im.

As a coworker of mine used to say, chin up, buttercup. Cheesy, but reassuring in a way (hopefully).

arabianhorselover said...

When I first saw your picture, it reminded me so much of how I looked for most of my life. I would never have been brave enough to post MY picture. I admire you for starting this website, and sharing your life with us.

After living with this condition for my whole life until the age of 43, I finally had surgery. I had never thought it was possible to have it corrected in my case.

I am 47 now, and I still have not gotten over the scars of living with this for so many years.

I wish you all the best