Thursday, September 6, 2007

Does This Make Me Feel Better About my Strabismus?

Through a trail left by someone who found me on Google, I found this post called "Strabismus and the Rich and Famous". Abraham Lincoln and Barbara Streisand are included. The list isn't exhaustive, I know people have mentioned a couple of other famous actresses with a lazy or crossed eye that I cannot now recall. If you know of any others, feel free to enlighten me in the comments thingie.

The site itself is quite informative and offers everything from random (or technically useless information) like in the above, to detailed information about various solutions for strabismus. They also offer one of the most straightforward definitions of strabismus that I have read. Simply put, strabismus is any ocular misalignment. You can read the more detailed defintion here.

For the record, I think Barabara Streisand is quite striking.

2 comments:

george said...

I am 63. At 2 years old, I had a high fever and my right eye turned in. I was made fun of, and finally at 11 years of age, in France in 1957, I had strabismus surgery. I did not do exercises for my eye as recommended because we could not afford them, and then we came to the U.S. in 1957. My very lazy right eye was undercorrected, but gradually it drifted out until I was about 21 when it looked straight. Over the next 40 years, it continued to drift out until it was out 45 diopters, which is extreme. I procrastinated until I was 62 and was so embarassed to look at people and I knew they were not comfortable looking back. Some even snickered behind my back. Also when I made presentations and was asked questions, unless I pointed to that person,they were not sure who I was looking at. Sounds familiar? I was mostly scared to be put to sleep. My surgeon recommended that I have both eyes done to improve the chances for binocular vision, but I said there was little chance I would use the right eye after 60 years. So far one year later, I am very pleased with the results. I had suffered enough for nearly 60 years. Make sure you have a specialit who has years of experience in strabismus surgeryand and ask for references. This should put your mind at ease.

Me and My Lazy I said...

Thank you for telling your story George. I appreciate the support. This surgery keeps getting put on the back burner, and when someone leaves a comment, it all comes to the forefront again.